2022 Vegetables and Root Crops Situationer: Davao Region

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

Wednesday, June 21, 2023
Production of Vegetables and Root Crops slightly decrease by 0.3 percent
In 2022 Vegetables and Root Crops produced 150,988.73 Metric Tons (MT) in the region. It contracted by -0.3 percent from 151,494.60 metric tons in 2021. The decline was largely credited to the production decrease of green papaya by 370.52 MT and potato by 314.11 MT, from 2021 to 2022. However, between 2020 and 2021 total Vegetables and Root Crops production grew by 0.1 percent.
Top 10 Vegetables and Root Crops by Volume of Production
Top 10 Vegetables and Root Crops contributed for 68.8 percent of the total production in the region while the rest shared 31.2 percent. 
Cassava accounted for 13.0 percent of the total production or 19,656.23. MT. Its production increased by 1.2 percent in 2022, a turnaround from a decrease of 3.0 percent in 2021.
Sweet potato or camote at second yielded 18,116.17 MT. It decreased both in 2022 and 2021 by -1.0 and -2.1 percent, respectively. 
At third, stringbeans shared 8.1 percent to the total production or 12,213.53 MT. It declined by -2.0 percent 2022, a reversal from a growth of 0.5 percent in 2021
Potato shared 7.7 percent to the total production or 11,691.04 MT. It decreased by 2.6 percent in 2022 from a 1.8 percent growth in 2021.
At fifth green papaya attributed 6.5 percent to the total production or 9,759.43 MT. Its production had a decreasing trend by -3.7 percent in 2022 and -2.4 percent in 2021.
Contributing to 5.3 percent to the total production or 8,006.39 MT, banana blossom continued to grow by 0.1 percent in 2022, a slowdown from 3.3 percent growth in 2021.
Vegetables and Root Crops Production by Province
Davao del Sur had the highest percentage share of Vegetables and Root Crops production of the region in 2022 with 27.5 percent or 41,479.05 MT.
Followed by Davao de Oro at 22.1 percent to total production in 2022 estimated at 33,329.94 MT.
Davao City and Davao del Norte with 20.7 percent and 13.7 percent share or produced 31,512.36 MT and 20,643.32 MT, respectively in 2022.
Davao Oriental and Davao Occidental shared the least in total production, contributing 11.8 percent and 4.1 percent or 17,872.02 MT and 6,152.09 MT, respectively
The data from this Special Release was based on the Crops Production Survey (CrPS). It is a quarterly survey which aims to generate basic production statistics for crops other than palay and corn at the national and sub-national levels. It covers more than 280 crops sub-classified under three commodity groupings, namely: 1) Non-Food and Industrial Crops, 2) Fruit Crops, and 3) Vegetables and Rootcrops. The commodity coverage by province differs and depends on what each province produces.
Crop Production is the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. It includes those harvested but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvesters’ and threshers’ shares, reserved etc. Excluded are those produced but not harvested due to low price, lack of demand and force majeure or fortuitous events, etc.
CrPS survey results are posted at the PSA website (https://openstat.psa.gov.ph)  
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Regional Statistical Services Office 11