2022 Non-Food and Industrial Crops Situationer: Davao Region

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

Wednesday, June 21, 2023
Non-Food and Industrial Crops production drops by negative 0.9 percent.
Non-Food and Industrial Crops (NFICs) production in the region registered 2,340,115.04 Metric Tons (MT) in 2022. It declined by -0.9 percent from 2,362,300.52 MT in 2021. The decrease was mainly attributed to the production drop of sugarcane by 52,355.19 MT or negative 17.4 percent from 2021 to 2022. However, from 2020 to 2021 NFICs production increased by 2.1 percent.
Top 10 Non-Food and Industrial Crops by Volume of Production
The top 10 Non-Food and Industrial Crops in 2022 accounted for 99.9 percent of the total production in the region while the rest merely contributed 0.1 percent. 
Coconut (with husk) accounted for 86.0 percent of the total production at 2,012,425.16 MT. Its production successively gained by 1.5 percent in 2022 and 1.0 percent in 2021.
Sugarcane ranked second, contributed 10.7 percent at 249,241.30 MT. Its production substantially decreased by -17.4 percent in 2022, a reversal in 2021 with a growth of 9.7 percent.
At third, coconut sap or commonly known as tuba yielded 20,339.99 MT. It gained by 1.7 percent in 2022, a turnaround from a decrease of -2.7 percent in 2021.
Rubber (coagulated cup lump) extracted 12,419.70 MT. A negative growth of 0.8 percent in 2022. In 2021, it expanded by 3.4 percent.
Coco coir processed 12,146.38 MT. It had an increasing trend of 5.9 percent and 2.2 percent in 2022 and 2021, respectively.
Abaca (dried raw fiber) produced 9,424.84 MT, an increase by 1.9 percent from 9,278.15 MT in 2021.     
Non-Food and Industrial Crops Production by Province
Davao Oriental recorded the biggest percentage share of Non-Food and Industrial Crops production in 2022 with 28.6 percent to total production or 668,548.66 MT.
Davao del Sur shared 21.4 percent to total production in 2022 estimated at 501,704.79 MT.
Followed by Davao Occidental and Davao City with 18.3 percent and 13.6 percent share or yielded 428,273.25 MT and 317,129.37 MT, respectively in 2022.
Davao del Norte and Davao de Oro shared the least in the total production, contributing 9.4 percent and 8.7 percent or 219,985.42 MT and 204,473.55 MT, respectively.
The data from this Special Release was based on the Crops Production Survey (CrPS). It is a quarterly survey which aims to generate basic production statistics for crops other than palay and corn at the national and sub-national levels. It covers more than 280 crops sub-classified under three commodity groupings, namely: 1) Non-Food and Industrial Crops, 2) Fruit Crops, and 3) Vegetables and Rootcrops. The commodity coverage by province differs and depends on what each province produces.
Crop Production is the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. It includes those measured but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvesters’ and threshers’ shares, reserved etc. Excluded are those produced but not harvested for whatever reasons such as due to low price, lack of demand and force majeure or fortuitous events, etc.
CrPS survey results are posted at the PSA website (https://openstat.psa.gov.ph)  
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Regional Statistical Services Office 11