2020 Fruit Crops Situationer: Davao Region

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

Thursday, December 2, 2021
Fruits production decreases by 2.1 percent
In 2020 Davao Region produced 3,534,970.68 Metric Tons (MT) of fruit crops. It declined by negative 2.1 percent from 3,609,789.69 MT in 2019. The decrease was mainly attributed to the production drop of banana by 79,387.18 MT or negative 2.3 percent between 2019 and 2020. Fruit crops production similarly dropped at negative 3.6 percent from 2018 to 2019. 
Top 10 Fruit Crops by Volume of Production
The top 10 fruit crops in 2020 accounted for 99.7 percent of the total production in the region while the rest meagerly contributed 0.3 percent. 
Banana accounted for 94.8 percent of the total fruit crops production in 2020. However, its production continued to decelerate at negative 3.5 percent and negative 2.3 percent in 2019 and 2020, respectively.
Durian ranked second which contributed 1.7 percent in 2020 or 60,675.85 MT. It increased both in 2019 and 2020 by 2.1 percent and 0.7 percent, respectively.
Mango at third recorded 48,242.68 MT. Moreover, its production recovered in 2020 by 6.7 percent which was considerably dropped by negative 15.3 percent in 2019.
At fourth, pineapple listed 27,618.18 MT in 2020. It had an accelerating trend of 0.6 percent and 2.7 percent in 2019 and 2020, respectively.
Production of pomelo at fifth registered 14, 988.74 MT. It climbed both in 2019 and 2020 at 0.1 percent and 0.9 percent, accordingly.  
Papaya at sixth produced 10,619.22 MT in 2020. It shrunk in 2019 by negative 0.3 percent but expanded by 2.0 percent in 2020. 
Fruit Crops Production by Province
In 2020 Davao del Norte had the highest percentage share of fruit crops production in the region with 42.6 percent, estimated at 1,504,040.94 MT.
Followed by Davao de Oro at 803,907.52 MT or 22.7 percentage share.
Davao del Sur and Davao City shared 13.7 percent and 11.3 percent or 483,049.47 MT and 397,666.32 MT, correspondingly. 
The least two provinces by percentage share were Davao Occidental and Davao Oriental with identical contribution of 4.9 percent each or 173,206.36 MT and 173,100.07 MT, respectively. 
The data from this Special Release was based on the Crops Production Survey (CrPS). It is a quarterly survey which aims to generate basic production statistics for crops other than palay and corn at the national and sub-national levels. It covers more than 280 crops sub-classified under three commodity groupings, namely: 1) Non-Food and Industrial Crops, 2) Fruit Crops, and 3) Vegetables and Rootcrops. The commodity coverage by province differs and depends on what each province produces.
Crop Production is the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. It includes those measured but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvesters’ and threshers’ shares, reserved etc. Excluded are those produced but not harvested for whatever reasons such as due to low price, lack of demand and force majeure or fortuitous events, etc.
Regional Director