Special Release on Livestock and Poultry Situation, as of July 1, 2017

Reference Number: 

2017-007

Release Date: 

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Inventory of Livestock

As of July 1, 2017 the total inventory of hog in Davao Region was 911,615 heads, 3.9 percent higher than the inventory of 877,099 heads of the same period the previous year. In the latest count of hogs in the region, about 84.1 percent or 766,840 heads were raised in backyard farms while 15.9 percent or 144,775 heads were raised in commercial farms. Goat in the region has a total inventory of 322,724 heads of which majority or 99.0 percent were raised in backyard farms while there was only 1.0 percent raised in commercial farms. Meanwhile, cattle's latest inventory in Region XI stood at 141,309 heads of which 96.0 percent or 135,684 heads were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 4.0 percent or 5,625 heads were raised in commercial farms. On the other hand, the total count of carabao as of July 1, 2017 was 158,603 heads a decline of 3.2 percent it counted in the previous year of the same period. Majority of carabao in the region were also raised in backyard farms.

 

Inventory of Chicken

Chicken in the region has a total count of 11,628,567 birds as of July 1, 2017, an increase of 2.3 percent compared to the 11,369,390 birds counted the previous year of the  same  period.  Among  the  types,  native  chicken  had  the  most  number  with 63.9 percent share to the total number of chicken in the latest inventory. It was followed by broiler with 22.8 percent share while the remaining 13.3 percent was comprised by layer type. The total inventory of native chicken and layer increased by11.2 percent and 3.9 percent, respectively from 2016 to 2017 as of July 1 of both years. On the other, broiler’s inventory declined by 6.2 percent between the two period compared.

 

 

Inventory of Ducks

As of July 1, 2017, the total inventory of duck in the region was 540,836 birds, higher by 4.3 percent it registered the previous year. Out of the total inventory, about 90.7 percent or 490,793 birds were raised in backyard farm while the remaining 9.3 percent or 50,043 birds were raised in commercial farm. The latest inventory of backyard and commercial duck was 3.3 percent and 15.2 percent higher than the population counted the previous year.

 

 

 

Production
 
In 2016, the total production of hog in Region XI was 149,157 metric tons, 4.1 percent higher than the production recorded in 2015. Likewise, the production of carabao and goat showed an increase of 1.8 percent and 2.8 percent between 2015 and 2016. Cattle, on the other hand, registered a slight increase of 0.7 percent from 12,747 metric tons in 2015 to 12,831 metric tons in 2016.
 
Among the provinces and city, Davao del Sur was the top producer of carabao, cattle and goat in 2016 while Davao City was the top producer of hog.
 
 
 
In 2016, the total production of chicken in Davao Region was 72,007 metric tons, a decline of 2.1 from the production recorded in 2015. On the other hand, duck production increased by 3.4 percent from 1,114 metric tons in 2015 to 1,152 metric tons in 2016. Likewise, the production of chicken and duck eggs showed an increase of 2.7 percent and 3.7 percent between 2015 and 2016.
 
 
Among the provinces and city in Region XI, Davao City was the top producer of chicken and chicken egg in 2016 while Davao del Norte was the top producer of duck and duck egg.
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

Tags: 

Attachments: