Palay and Corn Situation and Outlook, April-June 2019, Davao City

Reference Number: 

DAVSUR-2019-006

Release Date: 

Friday, October 18, 2019
Special Release
 
 
Palay
 
The April-June 2019 palay production dropped to 2,871 Metric Ton (MT) from 3,459 MT in 2018 or by 17.0 percent. Likewise, harvest  area contracted to 819 hectares from last year’s level of 1,042  hectares. Yield per hectare improved by 5.72 percent from 3.32 MT in 2018 to 3.51 MT in 2019 (Fig. 3).
 
 
 
 
 
 
Reduction in harvest areas were accounted  to  unrealized plantings in some areas in Calinan, Tugbok, Buhangin and Paquibato districts due to inadequate water supply during the first quarter of 2019.
 
About 79.0 percent of Davao City’s palay production came from irrigated areas, while the remaining 15.0 and 6.0 percent were produced from rainfed and upland areas respectively (Fig.4). 
 
 
 
Irrigated palay production was recorded at 2,270 MT during the reference period. This was lower by 5.22 percent from the 2,395 MT level in 2018 (Fig. 5).
 
 
 
 
Palay output in rainfed areas was posted at 426 MT. This was lesser by 40.67 percent from the previous year’s level.  Decrement in production were attributed to the significant reduction in harvest areas accounted to unrealized plantings  in some areas in Buhangin, Tugbok, Calinan and Paquibato districts due to insufficient rainfall  during the first quarter of 2019 (Fig. 6).
 
 
Upland palay production was registered at 175 MT for the quarter. This was lower by 49.42 percent from the previous year’s record of 346 MT (Fig.7).
 
 
 
 
Corn
 
Corn production from April to June 2019, at  4,368 MT, was 31.37 percent below the 6,365 MT recorded production in 2018.  Harvest area contracted from 3,249 hectares to 2,478 hectares or by 23.73 percent.  Yield per hectare decreased by 10.20 percent, from 1.96 MT to 1.76 MT (Figures 8-10). 
 
 
 
Decrements in production were attributed to the decrease in area harvested brought about by insufficient rainfall to some areas in Marilog and Paquibato districts during planting schedule.
 
Of the total corn production, white corn accounted for 78.0 percent, yellow corn comprised the remaining 22.0 percent (Fig. 11). 
 
 
White corn production was estimated at 3,388 MT, 30.19 percent lower than that of the 2018 level of 4,853 MT (Fig. 12). 
 
 
 
Production of yellow corn posted 980 MT during the period. This was 35.19 percent lower than the previous year’s level of 1,512 MT (Fig. 13). 
 
 
 
Technical Notes
 
The Palay and Corn Production Survey (PCPS) is one of the major surveys conducted by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA). This generates estimates on palay and corn production, area and yield and other production-related data that serves as inputs for policy making and programs on palay and corn.
 
Production refers to the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period.  For palay and  corn, harvest area refers to the actual harvested/to be harvested during the reference quarter. Yield is an indicator of productivity derived by dividing total production by the area harvested.
 
The following are the data taken from these surveys:
 
1) Estimates for the current quarter;
2) Estimates for the next two quarters based on: standing crop and planting intentions.
 
 
 
Approved for Release:
 
 
RANDOLPH ANTHONY B. GALES
Chief Statistical Specialist

Tags: 

Attachments: