Wednesday, April 4, 2018
Inventory of Livestock
As of January 1, 2018, the total hog inventory in Davao Region inched up by 0.39 percent from the previous year’s level of 904,858 heads. About 84.0 percent or 757,297 heads were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 16.0 percent or 147,561 heads were in commercial farms. Inventory of goat in the region was estimated at 322,725 heads of which 99.0 percent were raised in the backyard farms while only 1.0 percent were in commercial farms. Meanwhile, total cattle population stood at 139,665 heads. This was 0.10 percent lower than last year. Out of the total stocks, around 96.0 percent were raised in backyard farms while 4.0 percent were in commercial farms. On the other hand, carabao in the region as of January 1, 2018, had a total count of 155,762 heads, a decrease of 2.96 percent compared to the 160,519 heads recorded last year. Majority of the carabao stocks were also raised in the backyard farms.
Inventory of Chicken
The total count of chicken in the region, as of January 1, 2018, remarkably dropped to 11,655,512 birds. This recorded a 15.36 percent decline from the previous year’s level of 13,770,535 birds. The inventory of broilers, layers, and native/improved chickens registered decreases of 36.99 percent, 12.87 percent and 2.85 percent, respectively.
As of January 1, 2018, the native/improved chicken had the largest stock share with 63.80 percent to the total chicken inventory in Davao Region . This was followed by broiler chicken with 24.87 percent share. Layers had the least number with only 11.33 percent share to the total stocks.
Duck inventory in the region, as of January 1, 2018, was estimated at 539,916 birds. This posted a 2.96 percent growth in stocks from the previous year’s level of 524,409 birds. Out of the total stocks, about 90.0 percent or 487,354 birds were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 10.0 percent or 52,562 birds were raised in commercial farms.
Stocks in backyard and commercial farms had respective growths of 2.15 percent and 11.08 percent from last year’s inventory record.
Total production volume of hog in Davao Region was estimated at 151,599 metric tons in 2017. This was 1.64 percent higher than the 2016 production level of 149,157 metric tons. Similarly, production performance of cattle in the region improved by 3.70 percent from last year’s level of 12,831. On the other hand, carabao production slid to 13,176 metric tons, 0.05 percent lower than last year’s record. Goat production in 2017 also decreased to 6,176 metric tons from 6,206 metric tons in 2016.
In 2017, chicken production in the region was estimated at 71,758 metric tons. This was 0.35 percent lower than the production recorded in 2016. On the other hand, duck production increased by 0.17 percent, from 1,152 metric tons in 2016 to 1,154 metric tons in 2017.
Chicken egg production in Davao Region increased by 3.58 percent, from 25,495 metric tons in 2016 to 26,407 metric tons in 2017. Likewise, production of duck egg also posted a growth of 4.70 percent from last year’s record of 1,192 metric tons.