2020 Vegetables and Root Crops Situationer: Davao Region

Reference Number: 

2021-027

Release Date: 

Thursday, December 2, 2021
Vegetables and Root Crops record a 2.1 percent production growth
 
In 2020 Vegetables and Root Crops produced 151,304.38 Metric Tons (MT) in the region. It grew by 2.1 percent from 148,162.91 metric tons in 2019. The growth was largely credited to the production increase of banana blossom by 790.75 MT and potato by 708.86 MT or 11.4 percent and 6.4 percent, respectively from 2019 to 2020. The total Vegetables and Root Crops production increase in 2020 was a reversal from a decline of negative 1.0 percent between 2018 and 2019.
 
 
Top 10 Vegetables and Root Crops by Volume of Production
 
Top 10 Vegetables and Root Crops contributed for 69.3 percent of the total production in the region while the rest shared 30.7 percent. 
Cassava on top accounted for 13.2 percent of the total production in 2020 or 20,014.40 MT. However, its production continued to decrease by negative 5.2 percent in 2019 and negative 3.4 percent in 2020.
 
Sweet potato or camote at second yielded 18,703.23 MT in 2020. It declined by negative 2.8 percent in 2019 but recovered by 2.1 percent in 2020. 
 
At third, stringbeans shared 8.2 percent to the total production in the region or 12,405.45 MT in 2020. It grew by 4.6 percent in that year.
 
Potato shared 7.8 percent to the total production in the region or 11,793.66 MT in 2020. It gradually increased by 1.4 percent in 2019 and furtherly raised by 6.4 percent 2020.
 
At fifth green papaya attributed 6.9 percent or 10,377.56 MT. But its production continued to shrunk by negative 0.7 percent in 2019 and negative 3.5 percent in 2020.
 
Contributing to only 5.1 percent to the total production in the region or 7,745.16 MT in 2020, banana blossom remarkably up by 11.4 percent in same year.
 
 
Vegetables and Root Crops Production by Province
 
Davao del Sur had the highest percentage share of Vegetables and Root Crops production in 2020 with 26.9 percent or 40,742.62 MT.
 
Followed by Davao de Oro at 22.4 percent production among the provinces/city in the region, estimated at 34,227.74 MT.
 
Davao City and Davao del Norte with 20.2 percent and 14.0 percent share or produced 415,026.27 MT and 283,219.95 MT, respectively in 2020.
 
The last two provinces by percentage share in 2020 were Davao Oriental and Davao Occidental with contribution of 12.3 percent or 18,537.23 MT and 4.0 percent 6,00.51 MT, accordingly.
 
 
 
TECHNICAL NOTES
 
 
The data from this Special Release was based on the Crops Production Survey (CrPS). It is a quarterly survey which aims to generate basic production statistics for crops other than palay and corn at the national and sub-national levels. It covers more than 280 crops sub-classified under three commodity groupings, namely: 1) Non-Food and Industrial Crops, 2) Fruit Crops, and 3) Vegetables and Rootcrops. The commodity coverage by province differs and depends on what each province produces.
 
Crop Production is the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. It includes those harvested but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvesters’ and threshers’ shares, reserved etc. Excluded are those produced but not harvested due to low price, lack of demand and force majeure or fortuitous events, etc.
 
 
 
APPROVED FOR RELEASE:
 
 
 
RUBEN D. ABARO. JR., CESE
Regional Director
 
 
 
 
 

Tags: