VOLUME OF PRODUCTION
Chicken production expanded at an annual average of 3.53 percent from 2015-2019 with its highest annual growth of 7.54 percent in 2015. In terms of levels, the highest production was recorded in 2019 with 81,090 metric tons (liveweight). Meanwhile, its by-product, chicken egg, registered its highest growth rate of 21.16 percent in 2019. During the five year period, production registered an equivalent of 5,528 metric tons increase from the previous year level.
Duck production showed a decreasing trend for five consecutive years from 2015-2019. The highest annual rate of decrease for the period was observed in 2019. In this year, duck production declined by 5.96 percent. In terms of levels, the highest production was noted in 2017 with 1,154 metric tons. Volume of duck egg grew at an average annual rate of 6.36 percent. During the five-year period, production peaked in 2018 but tapered off to 1,351 metric tons in 2019.
Davao Region’s chicken production at 81,090 metric tons ranked seventh among the sixteen producing regions in the country.
Chicken production in Region XI got 4.21 percent share to the country’s 1.93 million metric tons output. Among the regions in Mindanao, Davao Region ranked second to Northern Mindanao’s 170,021 metric tons output or 8.82 percent share to the national production. Central Luzon got the top spot with 699,655 metric tons or 36.30 percent share.
Davao Region got 5.43 percent to the country’s 583,234 metric tons chicken egg production. Among the six regions in Mindanao, Region XI placed only second to Northern Mindanao 8.44 percent share. CALABARZON contributed to the bulk of the production with an equivalent of 174,939 metric tons.
Davao City contributed a significant 68 percent share to Davao Region’s 31,651 metric tons chicken egg output in 2019. Davao del Norte was the second top producing province reaching 4,632 metric tons. Securing the third top contributing province is Davao del Sur at 2,580 metric tons.
Duck production in Region XI accounted for 3.51 percent share to the country’s 30,103 metric tons total production.
Davao Region ranked eighth among the sixteen duck producing regions in the country. Four among the six regions in Mindanao were in fact included in the top 10 duck producing regions. SOCCSKSARGEN topped with 4,385 metric tons (MT), followed by Northern Mindanao (1,850 MT), Davao Region (1,057 MT) and ARMM (847 MT).
- Chicken inventory is composed of broiler, layer and native/improved population.
- Broiler chicken inventory dropped by 26.36 percent or a difference of 634,436 birds in contrast to 01 January 2018 count.
- Layer chicken inventory as of 01 January 2020 was at 2.04 million birds or an increase of 23.08 percent in comparison with the inventory of same period of last year.
- Every period 01 January from 2018 to 2020, native/improved chicken was the most dominant type of chicken in Davao Region. Its stocks at 6.64 million birds reduced by 11.07 percent.
Chicken Broiler population was around 1.77 million birds. Davao City had the highest chicken inventory with a total share of 60.72 percent. Together with Davao del Norte and Davao del Sur, these three (3) provinces contributed 92.64 percent to the Region's total broiler inventory.
Davao Region’s inventory of Layer chicken was at 2.04 million birds. In terms of levels, Davao City had the highest inventory at 1,640,749 birds.
The total native/improved chicken inventory was at 6.64 million birds. In terms of level, the province with the highest count was Davao del Norte at 1.98 million birds. This was followed by Davao City at 1.90 million birds and Davao de Oro at 0.90 million birds.
- Backyard duck farm continued to account for the largest share of 90.57 percent in the region’s total duck inventory. The remaining 9.43 percent came from commercial farms.
The province of Davao del Norte sustained 46.18 percent of Davao Region’s backyard farm population.
- Inventory in duck commercial farms exhibited a downward trend from 2018 to 2019. In 2020, an increase of 13.28 percent was noted or an equivalent of 5,802 birds compared to same period in 2019.
VOLUME OF BIRDS DRESSED IN DRESSING PLANTS
In 2019, chicken dressed in poultry dressing plants in Davao Region dropped by 12.85 percent.