2019 Fruits Situationer Report: Davao Region

Reference Number: 

2020-018

Release Date: 

Friday, November 20, 2020
Fruits production decreases by 3.5 percent
 
The production performance of fruit crops in the region declined by 3.5 percent in 2019, from 3,743,212.32 metric tons in 2018 to 3,609,786.69 metric tons in 2019, a turnaround from an increase of 1.4 percent between 2017 and 2018. The decrease was mainly attributed by drop in production of banana by 126,321.29 metric tons and mango by 8,157.35 metric tons or negative 3.55 and negative 15.29, respectively from 2018 to 2019. 
 
 
Top 10 Fruit Crops by Volume of Production
 
In 2019, the top ten fruit crops accounted for 99.7 percent of the total production in the region while the rest just contributed 0.3 percent. 
 
Banana consistently on top for three consecutive years from 2017 to 2019. It accounted for 94.9 percent of the total fruit crops production in 2019. It expanded at 1.2 percent in 2018, however, contracted at 3.5 percent in 2019.
 
Durian had an increasing trend with an annual growth of 13.9 and 2.07 for 2017-2018 and 2018-2019, respectively.
 
Mango production increased in 2018 by 1.9 percent but significantly declined by 15.2 percent in 2019
 
Pineapple improved by 2.8 and 0.6 percent in 2018 and 2019, respectively.
 
Production of Pomelo estimated at 14,963.90 MT in 2017 dropped to 14,839.61 MT in 2018 but rebounded at 14,853.78 MT in 2019.  
 
Papaya on the other hand, grew in 2018 by 0.3 percent but similarly shrunk by 0.3 in 2019. 

Fruit Crops Production by Province 
 
 
In 2019, Davao del Norte had the highest percentage share of fruit crops production in the region with 44.0 percent, estimated at 1,589,330.75 MT.
 
Followed by Davao de Oro at 818,183.16 MT or 22.7 percentage share.
 
Davao del Sur and Davao City shared 13.1 percent and 10.7 percent or 473,334.75 MT and 385,572.12 MT, correspondingly. 
 
The least two provinces by percentage share were Davao Oriental and Davao Occidental with a meager contribution of 4.8 percent and 4.7 percent or 173,905.03 MT and 169,460.89 MT, respectively. 
 
 
 
 
Top Five Fruit Crops Production by Province
 
For two successive years in 2018 and 2019, banana was the top produced fruit across provinces/city in the region. The top five crops varied in every province/city.
 
In Davao de Oro, the top five fruits were banana, calamansi, jackfruit, durian and avocado in 2018-2019.
 
From 2018-2019 the top five fruits in Davao del Norte were banana, durian, calamansi, mango and papaya.
 
In Davao del Sur, banana, mango, papaya, tamarind and durian cliched on top five in 2019.
 
Banana, mango, jackfruit, papaya and pomelo were the most produce fruits in Davao Oriental for two years.
 
Davao City had banana, durian, pineapple, pomelo and mango as the top 5 most harvested crops.
 
In Davao Occidental, banana, mango, papaya, durian and pomelo were the consistent crops in 2019.
 
 
 
 
 
                     
 
STATISTICAL TABLE
 
 
 
 
TECHNICAL NOTES
 
The data from this Special Release was based on the Crops Production Survey (CrPS). It is a quarterly survey which aims to generate basic production statistics for crops other than palay and corn at the national and sub-national levels. It covers more than 280 crops sub-classified under three commodity groupings, namely: 1) Non-Food and Industrial Crops, 2) Fruit Crops, and 3) Vegetables and Rootcrops. The commodity coverage by province differs and depends on what each province produces.
 
Crop Production is the quantity produced and actually harvested for a particular crop during the reference period. It includes those harvested but damaged, stolen, given away, consumed, given as harvesters’ and threshers’ shares, reserved etc. Excluded are those produced but not harvested due to low price, lack of demand and force majeure or fortuitous events, etc.
 
Major Crops refers to the top 19 crops in the Philippines, other than palay and corn which
collectively account for more than 60 percent of the total volume of crop production. These
include coconut, sugarcane, banana, pineapple, coffee, mango tobacco, abaca, peanut, mongo, cassava, sweet potato, tomato, garlic, onion, cabbage, eggplant, calamansi and rubber.
 
Minor Crops are all the remaining crops other than the major crops. This group accounts for about 40 percent of the total crop production.
 
Priority Crops is the identified national banner crops and various regional priority crops of the then Key Commercials Crops Development Program (KCCDP), now High Value Crops Development Program (HVCDP) and crops under the Key Commodity Road Maps of the Department of Agriculture, which are being developed because of their industrial and commercial potentials.
 
 
 
 
Apporved for Release: 
 
 
PEPITO D. AMOYEN
(Chief Statistical Specialist)
Officer-In-Charge
Regional Statistical Services Office 11
 
 
 

Tags: 

Attachments: